Bus Fleet Contracts Manager 029293
Organisation - Bus Operations
Job - Contract Management
Position Type - Full Time
Salary £45,000 - ££50,000
The London Bus network carries over 6 million passengers a day, utilising a fleet of approximately 9,200 buses. The operation of these vehicles is procured through over 600 contracts with our operators.
We are looking for a highly motivated, commercially focussed and objective team player, to ensure that we deliver the Mayor’s Transport Strategy and achieve the best value possible from the contracted bus fleet.
In support of delivering our business plan, you’ll be experienced in identifying and negotiating commercial opportunities, have excellent problem solving skills, a good eye for detail, and have the ability to work accurately under pressure.
You’ll work closely with colleagues throughout TfL and the London Bus Operators and be familiar with maintaining, developing, and utilising databases.
You’ll also be able to demonstrate a good understanding of the practicalities of operational delivery.
• Regularise and maintain the Buses Fleet Database, ensuring the accuracy of all details contained within, including modifications / changes to vehicles.
• Ensure operators comply with their contractual requirements in respect of new vehicles, allocations & refurbishments.
• Ensure that new vehicles are delivered as contractually required, and liaise with manufacturers and operators over a strategic view of deliveries.
• Produce timely and accurate Fleet Audit Reports on a regular basis.
• Act as the key contact between Bus Contracts and Tech & Data in respect of the plan for the installation and removal of iBus and Radio equipment from the Bus Fleet
• Assist with re-negotiation of existing contracts through effective commercial negotiations with bus company contractors when vehicle requirements are impacted
• Answering FOI, MQ and other stakeholder questions on fleet related matters
• Identify opportunities for fleet re-deployment in order to minimise costs to TfL and/or improve customer service
• Manage the TfL owned bus fleets (e.g. NRM, RM etc)
• Provide forecasts on fleet composition for emissions forecasting, & likely fleet renewal requirements to inform supply chain
• Ensure through effective management of the above that ITTs are updated, completed, accurately prepared, issued and progressed to strict timescales and that all tender activity is fully and accurately documented.
• Provide advice and guidance to the Public Transport Service Planning team to ensure the specification produced meets the approved vehicle requirements and that the Specification does not include any unintentional bias towards any operator who may bid
• Ensure that LBSL's Bus Contracts Management System (BCMS) and the Fleet Database are updated as appropriate on a timely basis especially in respect of vehicles details and individual route PVR, TVR and spares.
• Specific responsibility for the management and development
• Pro-actively assist with the development of the new business systems and processes as required
• Provide commercial and technical support within the Bus Operations directorate as required.
• Deputise for the Head of Tendering & Evaluation as required.
• Good geographical knowledge of the London bus network. (Desirable)
• Good understanding of European and UK Procurement Law. (Desirable)
• Broad knowledge of procurement, commercial contract management and supplier relationship management. (Essential)
• Working knowledge of software packages (particularly Word, Excel and Database packages) is desirable or the ability to quickly acquire such knowledge (Essential)
• A good working knowledge of vehicle types, specifications, emissions standards and other vehicle details is required or the ability to quickly acquire such knowledge (Essential)
• Working towards or achievement of a professional transport qualification (Desirable)
• A good understanding of bus scheduling and London bus operational practices is (Essential).
• Good commercial knowledge, preferably in the public transport sector. (Essential)
• Contractual and supply chain management. (Desirable)
• A good understanding of TfL's and Bus Operations' business objectives and priorities (Essential)
• A professional manager with a comprehensive understanding of the commercial realities of providing services in the transport sector, preferably combined with a knowledge of the London Bus Network, passenger requirements and Mayoral priorities (Essential)
• Ability to communicate effectively and to be able to confidently negotiate with bus operators to Director level on a range of commercial and technical issues relating to contracts and the bus fleet. (Essential)
• High standard of literacy, numeracy and reasoning skills, with an eye for detail. (Essential)
• An analytical and logical approach, capable of understanding, interpreting, presenting & explaining information effectively (Essential)
• Ability to work accurately to tight deadlines under pressure, and prioritise workloads to meet deadlines (Essential)
• Ability to work flexibly as part of an effective and cohesive team to achieve tight deadlines, sometimes under pressure, within the applicant’s immediate team or as part of the wider bus operations business. (Essential)
• Comprehensive experience of public transport operating practices (Essential)
• Familiar with the bus operating environment. (Essential)
• Managing complex interaction and relationships between suppliers and internal clients (Desirable)
• Solid experience of commercial negotiations and developing business relationships with a wide range of people (Desirable)
• Experience of maintaining accurate databases and using the information contained therein to exploit commercial opportunities and/or improve customer experience. (Essential)
Equality and Diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Please apply using your CV and a two page covering letter.
Think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience in the advert and cover this in your CV.
The closing date for applications is Monday 27th May 2019 @ 23:59
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel