A jobs board for ex-offenders looking for fresh starts, and employers seeking new talent
CBTC Data Network Technician
|Job Title:||CBTC Data Network Technician|
|Job Published:||December 27, 2018 16:52|
CBTC Data Network Technician 028987
Organisation - AP JNP Infrastructure
Job - Signal
Position Type - Full Time
Salary: from £52,907.00 dependant on skills, knowledge and experience
Location: Hammersmith with travel to other TfL locations on a regular basis
Please Note: Occasional unsocial hours working (up to 10%) would be expected for this role, but normal core business hours Monday to Friday will apply for the majority of the role. Applicants must hold a full UK driving license and a Safety on the Track certification to Individual Working Alone level will be required for role holder.
• The Data Networks Technician (CBTC) is responsible for providing technical expertise for 1st line (operating railway) response to Data Network failures on CBTC lines and carry out 2nd line (Workshop) testing of Data Network equipment.
• The role will carry out maintenance and rectify failures on Vital and Non –Vital communications systems on the CBTC Lines, and when required, assist with TBTC data network assets on the TBTC Lines as directed by the C/TBTC Data Network Managers.
• The role will manage access to the System (Operating System, Network Device and SMC User Accounts, Passwords and Permissions) as well as carry out periodic security auditing, analysis and long-term monitoring and reporting.
• The post holder will work within a team which is responsible for both CBTC and TBTC lines and will be expected to cover work on either from time to time.
• Undertake corrective and preventative maintenance on all field based network equipment as directed by the Data Networks Manager
• Fault response, diagnosis and rectification, corrective, installation, modification and re-commissioning / testing activities on data network assets.
• Following preventative and/or corrective maintenance, preparation and provision of detailed documentation and reports to the Data Network Manager or other Signals Managers as required.
• Active support and assistance to other Technicians dealing with problems associated with the data network for the C/TBTC systems.
• The Interpretation of system network alarms and initiation of corrective actions.
• Deliver day to day configuration management of CBTC Assets
• Accountable for ensuring the safety, health and wellbeing of customers, workforce and others impacted by the Directorate’s activities and achieving excellence in HSE management maturity, through the development of a positive safety, environment and wellbeing culture, with teams invested in managing and improving HSE performance, and the discharge of personal and team HSE accountabilities as detailed in the TfL Management System.
• The role does not have any direct budget control but operates within the overall Technical Delivery Managers budget.
• The post holder can influence the Head of Signals operating budget to ensure sufficient and suitable spending on the infrastructure, assets, training and competence management of staff.
• C/TBTC Data Networks managers
• Head of Signals
• Technical Delivery Manager
• CBTC Engineering Manager
• Signals Incident Manager
• Signals Maintenance Managers
• Fleet Production Managers and Engineers
• 3rd Party suppliers and contract management
• Information Management and TfL Cyber Protection teams
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
• Managing stakeholder and supplier relationships
• Writing maintenance procedures and/or training documentation
• Technical skills at a operational level to ensure effective delivery to address challenges and barriers that impact on operational railway
• Proven ability to communicate with people at all levels, including both external and internal stakeholders, to shape and
• influence how the Head of Signals team is perceived in a positive and consistent manner.
• Strong technical systems acumen.
• Ability to speedily analyse complex situations and execute appropriate response and where required asset improvements.
• HND or relevant equivalent professional qualification
• Knowledge of networks, Wi-Fi, protocols, services and Windows Servers/Accounts
• Broad Competence in controlling performance and security of Non-Vital Networks
• Configuration Management
• Cisco, Alcatel or other network systems and configuration
• Network and Cyber security
• SQL or other Database maintenance
• Safety related rules, policies, directives and procedures relating to a railway environment
• A broad background in and knowledge of networks, protocols, services and Windows Server/accounts
• Experience with managing Network Security is required
• Railway Environment (or other similar industry) exposure
• Working with safety critical systems
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network and a nominated person
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 29 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
The closing date for applications is Sunday 6th January at 11:59pm
Please apply using your CV and a covering letter. Please think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience outlined in the job description and ensure your CV reflects the requirements of the role you are applying for. You may also use the ‘additional documents’ section in your online application to attach a more detailed profile that is specifically relevant to the role you are applying for.
Equality and Diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.