A jobs board for ex-offenders looking for fresh starts, and employers seeking new talent
|Job Title:||Communications Officer|
|Start Date:||January 2020|
|Job Published:||December 30, 2019 17:21|
Communications Officer 031328
Organisation - Public Affairs & Stakeholder Engagement
Job - Corporate / Public Affairs
Position Type - Full Time
Salary: up to £35,000 dependant skills, knowledge and experience
Location: Southwark, London
The role holder is responsible for the co-ordination of TfL’s communications around strategic and tactical business priorities and TfL’s scrutiny responsibilities, including Mayor's Questions and Casework. Alongside other communication teams the role holder will develop the communications narrative, vision and overarching strategy. It is essential that good working relationships are developed across the organisation, in particular with operational colleagues to ensure CCT has an accurate picture of what is happening on the ground, future issues and provides advice on where senior officials are tactically deployed.
• Working closely alongside other communication teams to develop the strategic narrative, vision and communications approach for key policy areas and audiences.
• Co-ordinate communications activity around TfL’s strategic priorities.
• Deploy professional communications support to address key tactical business priorities and emerging incidents and issues. Accurately representing the Delivery Business perspective into the prioritisation of engagement activity to influence and shape business planning and operational delivery.
• Develop overarching communications strategies and ensure all communication channels are coordinated.
• Work closely with operational colleagues to ensure CCT has an accurate picture of live issues - provide advice on where senior officials are deployed.
• CCT lead for operational issues which do not fall to the Customer, Press Office or TDM team
• Creating collaborative working relationships with colleagues in News and External Relations and the wider Customer, Communication & Technology Directorate, to ensure delivery of a cohesive communications approach.
• Coordinating the monthly Mayor's Questions process. Ensuring questions are allocated to the appropriate teams and answers are provided within the required timescale and routed through TfL and Mayoral sign off as appropriate.
• Work closely with City Hall to provide a clear understanding on scrutiny work.
• Management of the members casework process, ensuring casework is responded to within the required Service Level Agreement.
• Mayoral VIP correspondence, writing responses for the Mayor and other senior City Hall officials on topics which are transport related.
• Support, advise and build collaborative relationships the delivery business, including the Managing Directors and their senior team and the leadership team of Customers, Communication & Technology to provide strategic direction on critical issues and priorities.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• Excellent influencing and negotiation skills, working with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Proven ability to build strong collaborative working relationships with senior colleagues and external stakeholders.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with an ability to work and think effectively in high-pressure situations.
• Politically astute and sound awareness of the key policy issues affecting transport decisions in London.
• Excellent presentation and organisational skills.
• Evidence of an understanding of the complexities of high-profile public sector organisations operating in highly challenging political and institutional environments.
• Understanding of local government procedures and culture, and the politics of London government.
• Knowledge of developments and emerging best practices in transport in the UK and globally.
• Educated to degree level or with relevant experience.
• Experience of strategic campaigning – preferably with an excellent understanding of transport issues – with an excellent understanding of the key stakeholder sectors covered by the role.
• Excellent experience of conceptual and strategic thinking.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network and nominated person
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
The closing date for applications is Sunday 5th January at 11:59pm
We reserve the right to close this advert early dependant on volume of applications
Please apply using your CV and a covering letter. Please think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience outlined in the job description and ensure your CV reflects the requirements of the role you are applying for. You may also use the ‘additional documents’ section in your online application to attach a more detailed profile that is specifically relevant to the role you are applying for.
Equality and Diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.