Control Centre Duty Manager - Network Management Control Centre 033028
Organisation - NETWORK MANAGEMENT CONTROL CENTRE
Job - Directors Office, Business Operations
Position Type - Full Time
Salary: £47,500 per annum + 22% shift allowance
Location: Southwark, London
Do you care about making a difference to people’s lives? Do you want to work in a dynamic, exciting and interesting environment? Are you interested in shift work with excellent benefits and shift allowance?
With a population of over 8.6 million and millions of visitors every year, London is a city that’s always on the move. Surface Transports Network Management Control Centre helps to ‘Keep London Moving’ by supporting and managing the movement of people and goods on the road network. We report the status of the network to our customers and road users. We want our streets to be safe for everyone to use and pleasant places to live, work and move about efficiently.
We are a 24/7 operation that is responsible for running Surface Transport services across the capital. Services are broad and dynamic and include monitoring the network, running incidents, managing bus routes and bus disruptions, making sure our tunnels are safe and operating effectively and supplying real time network information to our customers and partners. We are at our best when we come together in response to an incident or delivering iconic events like RideLondon and the London Marathon.
Our Control Centre is a dynamic exciting environment and the diverse nature of the city is reflected in our teams and our people come from all walks of life.
You will be responsible for the day to day tactical management and communications in the Control Centre. This role leads the responses to significant incidents or issues on or affecting the Surface Transport System - across multiple networks ensuring the safety of staff, contractors and customers, to mitigate disruption to customers and safeguard TfL's reputation.
The post holder will work on a rota basis which will cover a shift pattern that includes nights, weekends and bank and public holidays. The post holder will be expected to undergo and pass a Non-Police Personnel Initial Vetting Clearance.
You will be responsible for;
• Providing clear direction by building high performing teams through the effective management, development and empowerment of staff, whilst role modeling the TfL behaviours.
• Identification and escalation of all incidents requiring a formal command strategy and acts as a tactical advisor to stakeholders and Incident Commanders, as appropriate, to ensure that the Senior Management Team are fully briefed and that incidents are managed in line with the Surface Transport Incident Management Framework.
• Perform the role of Surface Transport Silver and/or Bronze Commander as and when required and accountable for all decisions undertaken within this role.
• The 24/7 tactical management (including decision making and problem solving), escalation and review of significant incidents as specified within the Surface Transport Incident Management Framework (including any on-call requirement), by leading the integrated, safe, effective management of incidents from the Control Centre while minimising disruption to customers in line with TfL objectives and the Surface Safety vision of 'Everyone home safe and healthy every day'.
• Maintaining awareness of the ever changing wider political and operational arena in which TfL operates to ensure that Control Centre responses maintain and enhance TfL's reputation.
• Providing functional management of the Control Centre Communications Team and is responsible for implementing strategies and taking action to ensure the appropriate, accurate and timely provision of Control Centre communications (across multiple formats) to the TfL leadership Team, key stakeholders and customers to enable effective decision making, at all levels, in a real time environment and thereby maintain a shared situational awareness.
• You will be the single point of real-time contact for the Senior Leadership Team, Silver Commanders and key stakeholders and for representing Surface Transport/TfL priorities in internal and external forums ensuring they demonstrate role model TfL behaviours to enhance the Control Centre reputation.
• Training, coaching and mentoring across the Control Centre as required achieved by maintaining a current knowledge of all areas of Control Centre real time activity to provide resilience in those activities, develop staff and safeguard Control Centre outputs.
• The safety and wellbeing of staff and the development of a positive safety and wellbeing culture in line with the Surface Safety vision of 'Everyone home safe and healthy every day' including their own compliance and that of their staff with the relevant control measures and the requirements of the TfL Health, Safety & Environment Management System.
You will require the following Skills, Knowledge and Experience;
• Proven ability to make business critical decisions while prioritising and managing multiple tasks and relationships within a fast paced and complex environment
• Highly developed decision-making skills and able to both work within a specified framework and act off own initiative
• Possessing political awareness and the ability to identify and mitigate both operational and reputational risks
• Ability to maintain attention to detail while retaining a strategic view of operations
• Excellent communication skills - verbal and written across all levels
• Ability to work calmly under pressure
• Ability to work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplined team
• Have or be able to quickly attain a highly developed knowledge of the Surface Transport networks and operations with emphasis on the bus and/or road networks, ST control rooms, the internal dependencies as well as interfaces with other transport networks
• Knowledge of Surface Transport’s Incident Management Framework and awareness of Surface Transport role in the wider operating environment
• Awareness of the regulatory and complex political environment in which TfL operates
• Knowledge of London Wide Surface Transport Network and TfL organisation
• Knowledge of political landscape in London, including Boroughs and key influencers
• Proven experience of leading in an operational environment with experience of modifying and flexing operations in response to dynamic business requirements
• Experience of identifying and responding to significant incidents and events, making rapid and rational decisions, to promote the successful delivery of business objectives
• Experience of negotiating and influencing both internal and external stakeholders in line with operational imperatives
• Demonstrable experience of time management and organisation, with the requirement to respond positively to pressure and meet tight deadlines while managing multiple tasks
• Experience of liaising at a senior level with ability to interpret and action instructions in an operational environment
Equality and Diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Please apply using your CV and a Covering letter. Think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience in the advert and cover this in your CV and cover letter.
The closing date for applications is 23:59 @ Sunday 8 March 2020
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel