Dial a Ride Driver Attendant 032641
Organisation - Dial a Ride
Job - Bus Operations
Position Type - Full Time
Full Time Permanent Positions
Please note that applying for this role means you have read and understood this advert and any associated links.
This position is only open to candidates who already hold a D1 driving licence and have no more than 3 points on their licence.
Please Note: Anyone who passed a car-driving test on or after 1st January 1997 will not have category D1 on their licence. Anyone who passed their car-driving test before 1st January 1997 will have category D1 on their licence. To check what vehicles your licence allows you to drive please click here. You will need your driving licence number and NI number to complete this search.
Salary: The starting salary is £26,291 to £32,138 dependant on shift pattern, rising up to £33,794 dependant on grade, shift and length of service.
The salary during training is a flat rate of £24,525.
Closing date for applications: 23.59 hrs Sunday 9th February however due to the high response expected for this vacancy we reserve the right to close this campaign once we have a suitable pool of candidates, which could be prior to the closing date.
Dial-a-Ride is a lifeline for many vulnerable people in London. It helps disabled and older passengers who are not able to use mainstream transport get around the Capital, and is one of TfL’s great success stories. Join this team and you'll be delivering a service with an outstanding reputation which has been running since 1980. The service helps nearly 45,000 members who make 1 million journeys a year.
Using accessible vehicles, as Dial a Ride Driver Attendant, you will be responsible for transporting passengers to and from designated points in a courteous and safe manner. You'll assist passengers who are less mobile by supporting them as required into and out of the vehicle following health and safety and other appropriate procedures, being mindful of passenger and personal safety, using appropriate equipment and manual handling techniques, and also transferring wheelchair passengers to a fixed seat in the vehicle.
We are looking for enthusiastic, flexible and motivated people to join our transport team. This is a very rewarding role where you will have an opportunity to make a difference within the community.
The Dial a Ride Attendant will:
· Drive to safe and professional standards (D1/PCV standards), all vehicle types operated by DaR in accordance with the Highway Code, including adherence to traffic and parking regulations and Blue Badge provisions.
· Using accessible vehicles equipped with a ramp or tail lift, pick up passengers to/from designated collection points in a courteous and safe manner. Ensure passengers are correctly secured on the vehicle with a seatbelt or with the use of various specialist wheelchair securing mechanisms. This involves being able to stoop, bend, twist, crouch down to the ground, reach up to a height and perform other motions in order to secure wheelchairs into designated spaces on the vehicle using approved safety restraints.
· At the start and finish of duty, undertake vehicle checks in accordance with legal and company requirements, report/deal with defects according to company procedures. Ensure that all necessary personal issue equipment for a day's duty is present and in good condition and that vehicles are refuelled/recharged as required. Very basic maintenance such as putting air in tyres and topping up oil and water levels is necessary.
· Ensure schedule and time of journeys are followed; maintain accurate journey records for the purposes of monitoring and improving scheduling, including comments and complaints from passengers. Drivers are issued with a Mobile Data Terminal which must be kept charged and regularly updated to ensure work flow reaches the driver out on the road.
· In the event of an incident, collision or other accidents, near misses, actual or potential hazards, risks and any issues on the road or in the work environment which may be affecting provision of service, immediately liaise with the Depot Duty Manager and/or Management Control Centre (MCC). Take remedial action to minimise risks where it is reasonably practicable and safe to do so and complete company reports in a timely manner.
· Drive vehicles other than for the purpose of transporting passengers as directed.
· Assist passengers on a door-to-door basis. This involves the requirement to frequently climb several flights of stairs when required, lift and carry shopping of up to 20 kgs and/or belongings for passengers to and from their destination, lift and carry equipment such as shopping trollies, walking frames, folded manual wheelchairs and other aides required by the passenger.
· To push and pull passengers in wheelchairs of various sizes (average weight 123 kilos) up and down kerbs, on and off bus ramps, different gradients and levels. Moving wheelchair and user through 90 degrees in order to enter & exit vehicle.
· Carry out Dynamic risk assessments; including passengers, location and adverse weather conditions
· Free travel for you on the TfL network
· 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
· Tax-efficient childcare payments
· Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
· Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
· Discounted Eurostar travel
To be eligible to apply for this role you must:
· Hold a full, clean D1 driving licence (or no more than 3 points), be over 21 with at least 2 years driving experience
· Need to be energetic and be able to work independently and successfully within a team
· All successful applicants will also be required to undertake an Enhanced DBS Disclosure, full medical examination, a work-based fitness assessment, drug & alcohol testing, reference checks and relevant training
Five shifts per week rostered Monday to Friday between 08:00-18:00. The lengths of the shifts may vary slightly to suit business needs.
Generally, five shifts per week though could occasionally be four but all with guaranteed 36 hours.
Shifts are rostered over Monday – Sunday between 06:00-02:00, the vast majority though are between 07:00-24:00.
These vacancies will be based in one of the locations listed below. You will need to be flexible enough to work around these locations making allowances for your travel time to the location allocated
East: Woodford Depot
North: Palmers Green Depot
West: North Wembley Depot
South: Wimbledon Depot
South East: Mandela Way Sub Depot
We will ask for your location preference throughout the recruitment process but cannot guarantee that we can accommodate these.
As a Dial a Ride Driver you will be given extensive City & Guilds Accreditation to include:
· DATTS (Dial-a-Ride Assisted Transport Training)
· Emergency First Aid
· Dementia Awareness
· In the Zone – Hazard Perception
The process consists of 3 stages including attending an Assessment Centre. You will need to pass each stage to progress to the next:
Stage 1: Online Application Form
As part of the application process you will be asked a number of screening questions, you will need to pass the pre-screening criteria to be eligible to go through to stage two. Please note you will need to upload a CV.
Please ensure you answer these questions carefully and ensure you check your answers before you submit your application. Once your application has been submitted, you will be unable to edit your answers and your application will be declined if you do not meet the required criteria.
Stage 2: Online Situational Judgement Test
Once you have submitted your application, we will send you the link to complete the online Situational Judgement Test. We strongly advise you to read the following guidance before completing the test. This will explain what an SJT is and gives you a few tips of how to complete it.
· You will have 5 days in which to complete the SJT from the time you submit your application. Failure to complete within the timescale will result in your application being withdrawn. No extensions can be given, therefore if you know you will be unable to complete within 5 days, we would suggest you refrain from submitting your application at that time.
· This is not a timed test and therefore no extra time can be given at any stage in the SJT.
· Mobile phones and tablets are not compatible with the SJT. If you do not have a desktop or laptop, we advise you use a library or internet café to complete your test.
Stage 3: Assessment Centre - You will complete the following:
Staff interactive role play exercise
Competency Based Interview
You will need to produce your driving license in addition to a form of identification, and proof of right to work.
The campaign is running to a very specific delivery timescale as determined by the business and there are restricted dates for all assessment events. Dates for the Assessment Centre will be opened at the same time for you to book into. You are therefore encouraged to schedule into an assessment event as early as possible. Please note that no further dates will be made available.
Attending an Assessment Event
· You have an active email address where correspondence, invitations to assessment events and practice material can be sent
· All your contact details including phone numbers, address and email are updated and current on your application
You can download a copy of the Candidate Charter here. This outlines our commitment to you as a candidate by providing insight into our recruitment process. It also outlines our expectations with regards to your engagement with us, to ensure that you receive the best recruitment experience possible, as we believe you should know the standards of service you can expect from us. You must read this document prior to submitting your application in order to understand every aspect of the process.
Reasonable Adjustment Process
If you require reasonable adjustments, you must notify the recruitment at least 48 hours (excluding weekends) prior to your scheduled assessment event to allow us to accommodate your requirements. You will then be sent a confirmation email which you will need to bring to your assessment. If you fail to bring this on the day your adjustments will not be granted and you will be unable to re-book.
We will consider that you are the expert regarding your own requirements, and we will consider all requests fairly within the context of the role.
Please take the time to read the Disability Confident Charter here.
Notice of Cancellation
We require you to give a minimum of 48 hours' notice of cancellation or re-schedule. Non-attendance at your Assessment Event may lead to your application being withdrawn.
Please note that your assessment may be rescheduled once only; subsequent cancellation may lead to your application being withdrawn. If you do not follow the process outlined in the Candidate Charter you risk being withdrawn from the campaign.
Please be aware that the outcome of your final assessment will not be available until all suitable candidates have attended the assessment events. Outcome notification will be provided 10 to 14 days from the date of the last event. We will keep you informed at your assessment event when this is likely to be.
Appointment to Post
In order to be appointed to a post, candidates must successfully pass an enhanced DBS check, reference checks, work based fitness assessment, medical screening and a drug & alcohol test. Candidates who do not pass the medical screening will have their offer of employment withdrawn.
Although you may be successful & offered the role – you may not commence employment in the role or start training immediately. There may be a requirement to delay your start date until you are required.
When you commence your employment you will undergo a full time training course which will take a minimum of 5 weeks to complete including classroom based training and depot training. You will receive a training salary until you successfully complete the training course.
You will be assigned to a Depot dependant on where the business requirements are within our Dial a Ride network. Please note vacancies will most likely be in the north and west London area.
If you need to speak to anyone within the Recruitment Team then please email the recruitment team at email@example.com or call us on 03330062939 Monday – Friday 08.30am – 17.30pm (Excluding bank holidays)
TfL aspires to be as diverse as the city we serve and we welcome applications from all sections of the community.