A jobs board for ex-offenders looking for fresh starts, and employers seeking new talent
System Support Engineer
|Job Title:||System Support Engineer|
|Job Published:||December 27, 2018 16:48|
System Support Engineer 028985
Organisation - AP JNP Infrastructure
Job - Signal
Position Type - Full Time
Salary: from £52,907.00 dependant on skills, knowledge and experience
Location: Stratford with travel to other TfL locations on a regular basis
Please Note: Occasional unsocial hours working (up to 10%) would be expected for this role, but normal core business hours Monday to Friday will apply for the majority of the role. Applicants must hold a full UK driving license and a Safety on the Track certification to Individual Working Alone level will be required for role holder.
• Identify unexpected behaviour, intermittent failure or sequence of events following a reported incident on the ATC equipped Lines, and if required, on the CBTC/TBTC Lines as directed by the CBTC System Support Manager.
• Support 1st line (operating railway) response teams in Signals, Fleet and LU Operations with technical support
• Use results of such analysis to suggest initiatives to improve reliability of the ATC/CBTC/TBTC systems and where possible assist in their implementation.
• Using appropriate 2nd Line (Workshop) Maintenance Device equipment, carry out testing of hardware and software for the ATC/CBTC/TBTC Central, Wayside and train-borne equipment, ensuring repair costs of the ATC/CBTC/TBTC equipment is controlled and minimised to an efficient level.
• Manage a small team of Technicians to ensure all 2nd line testing activities are completed in an efficient and effective manner
• The post holder will be required to work with others from multiple engineering disciplines, including Signalling, Rolling Stock and 3rd party suppliers / maintainers
• Accountable for ensuring the safety, health and wellbeing of customers, workforce and others impacted by the Directorate’s activities and achieving excellence in HSE management maturity, through the development of a positive safety, environment and wellbeing culture, with teams invested in managing and improving HSE performance, and the discharge of personal and team HSE accountabilities as detailed in the TfL Management System.
• Post holder will manage a small team of technicians on a day to day basis to ensure workload of SLMD operation is covered, whilst maintaining quality standards and managing performance.
• Post holder will carry out hardware testing of ATC/CBTC/TBTC equipment using Second Line test equipment.
• Ensure Maintenance and upkeep of Second Line test equipment and associated tools is completed
• Post holder will propose, create and develop innovative solutions to problems.
• Provide reports on outcomes of medium and long term log analysis highlighting conclusions with regard to system availability and reliability.
• Analysis logs to identify faults / unexpected behaviour and thereby identify software bugs and/or hardware failure.
• The post holder will be required to work with others from multiple engineering disciplines, including Signalling, Rolling Stock and 3rd part maintainers.
• Day to day configuration management of ATC/CBTC/TBTC Assets
• Manages one direct report on a day to day basis.
• The role does not have any direct budget control but operates within the overall Technical Delivery Managers budget.
• The post holder can influence the Head of Signals operating budget to ensure sufficient and suitable spending on the infrastructure, assets, training and competence management of staff.
• Head of Signals
• Technical Delivery Manager
• C/TBTC Engineering Manager
• Signals Response team
• Signals Maintenance teams
• Signals Design Authority / 3rd Party suppliers Thales / Siemens
• Head of Fleet & S Stock Fleet
• Fleet Production Managers and Engineering
• Information Management and TfL Cyber Protection teams
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
• Able to use test equipment to diagnose electronic circuits to board and component level and analyse results
• Capable of performing electronic rework/repair to IPC-A-610 Class 3 standard using IPC 7711/7721 compliant methodologies
• Ability to speedily assess complex situations and formulate appropriate plans to drive response and asset improvements
• Data interrogation, manipulation and analysis
• Proven ability to communicate with people at all levels, including both external and internal stakeholders, to shape and Influence how the Head of Signals team is perceived in a positive and consistent manner.
• Writing maintenance procedures and/or training documentation
• Full UK driving license to be held
• HND or relevant equivalent professional qualification
• Practical working knowledge of electronics fault-finding and repairs
• In-depth knowledge of railway signalling, control and train control systems, and must be capable of becoming a safety critical license holder in the relevant field (1.3.260 Signalling Electronics Tester, 1.4.230 Combined Signalling Maintainer & Fault Finder) including holding relevant track side working and safety licenses.
• Configuration Management and Asset Management Systems (Ellipse, Maximo, SAP)
• Safety related rules, policies, directives and procedures relating to a railway environment
• Data analysis of signalling and control systems
• Able to create computer programs with one or more popular programming languages (such as Visual Basic, C++, Perl etc.)
• Experience and knowledge of fault finding operations especially in the ATC signalling and Control environments
• Practical electronics fault-finding to component level, preferably in a safety-critical environment
• Experience of working with and influencing a range of internal and external stakeholders
• Experience of LU working practices and maintenance procedures
• Experience of mentoring and or training technical staff
• Experience of working in a multi disciplinary team
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network and nominated person
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 29 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
The closing date for applications is Sunday 6th January at 11:59pm
Please apply using your CV and a covering letter. Please think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience outlined in the job description and ensure your CV reflects the requirements of the role you are applying for. You may also use the ‘additional documents’ section in your online application to attach a more detailed profile that is specifically relevant to the role you are applying for.
Equality and Diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's