A jobs board for ex-offenders looking for fresh starts, and employers seeking new talent
Vehicle Policy Officer
|Job Title:||Vehicle Policy Officer|
|Job Published:||January 29, 2019 11:55|
Vehicle Policy Officer 026979
Organisation - Taxi and Private Hire
Job - General
Position Type - Full Time
Salary circa £38,000 plus excellent benefits
Location – London SE1
Overview of role
At Transport for London, our goal is to keep the capital working and moving. Our London Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Policy Team plays its part by developing, implementing and maintaining vehicle regulations, policy and standards for a passenger carrying taxi and private hire fleet of around 100,000 vehicles. Setting standards for vehicle and passenger safety, introducing new vehicle designs and technologies and improving passenger accessibility.
You have an opportunity to be part of a small specialist vehicle policy/engineering team that has a big impact. You’ll work on some very interesting projects, helping to approve proposals for everything from revisions to taxi and private hire vehicle licensing requirements, including electric taxis, through to new low emissions technologies (e.g. hydrogen fuel cells, low emissions/hybrid technologies). You’ll regularly liaise with key stakeholders such as fleet operators, individual taxi and private hire drivers, vehicle manufacturers, design companies and technology suppliers as you deliver innovative and strategic initiatives.
• Assist in the production of proposals for revisions to taxi and private hire vehicle licensing requirements and standards in accordance with the Directorate’s objectives and strategy and in consultation with the taxi and private hire trades
• Where practical and suitable you will seek to harmonise private hire and taxi vehicle standards in order to deliver consistency in policy and processes
• Working with the relevant teams within the Directorate ensure that any proposals in relation to vehicle policy are measured, balanced and communicated where necessary in formal and informal consultation with trade representatives and stakeholders
• Undertaking research into licensing standards, policies and best practice elsewhere in the UK and overseas and utilising such information in order to further develop and inform decision making and change within the Directorate
• Researching and writing reports that set out the case for changes to standards and/or policies
• Where required draft replies to correspondence for reply by the Mayor, the TPH Director, Head of Policy and Service Development and Vehicle Policy Manager on issues relating to vehicle policies and standards
• Assist in the development of internal policies, processes and documentation in relation to customer facing information and processes
• Assist in monitoring the development and changes to relevant taxi vehicle regulations and legislation, working with relevant bodies such as the Department for Transport on such matters, and leading on the development and implementation of any changes required within the Directorate to implement such changes
• Impart and share technical information advice and guidance with taxi and private hire vehicle driver’s and operator’s, manufacturers, key stake holders and other interested parties to assist and facilitate with the introduction of existing and new technology, equipment and safety standards in to vehicles
• Undertake where requested and required, the development and delivery of training programs and workshops for both TfL and non TfL staff in respect of taxi and private hire vehicle technical/licensing standards and licensing policy.
Skills, Knowledge, Experience & Qualifications
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing (Essential)
• PC literate with an appreciation and understanding of IT, particularly in regard to the taxi driver and applicants databases and Microsoft applications (Essential)
• Decision-making and reasoning skills and an ability to make sound recommendations (Essential)
• Able to plan, organise and prioritise work (Essential)
• Able to build and maintain effective relationships (Essential)
• In depth research skills (Desirable)
• Innovative approach to problem solving (Desirable)
• Knowledge of automotive design, ergonomics, homologation, construction, low carbon, low emissions technologies, including vehicle wheelchair accessibility designs and an ability to keep up to date with changing technologies (Essential)
• Knowledge of various vehicle type testing requirements including DVSA MoT scheme (Essential)
• Knowledge of vehicle regulations and legislation (Essential)
• An in-depth knowledge of taxi and private hire legislation and licensing policies (Desirable)
• Practical experience of legislative interpretation (Essential)
• Experience within the automotive industry of vehicle repair/fleet operations (Essential)
• Experience of drafting letters and preparing reports (Desirable)
• Hold a BTEC HNC/HND motor vehicle technology qualification or an equivalent relevant qualification to a recognised level. Qualifications in similar discipline e.g., mechanical/electrical engineering may also be acceptable (Essential)
Equality and Diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Candidates who have previously applied for this role within the past six months should not re-submit an application on this occasion.
Please apply using your CV and a two page covering letter.
Think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience in the advert and cover this in your CV and cover letter.
The closing date for applications is 22nd February 2019 @ 23:59
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
• Final salary pension scheme
• Free travel for you on the TfL network
• A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
• 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
• Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
• Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
• Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
• Discounted Eurostar travel
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's